Author
Topic: Break-in to report  (Read 8100 times)
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« on: November 23, 2006, 11:57:19 pm »

Will be on File with Edmonton City Police.

Lovely incident (3rd time)
Lost, some random stuff, some cash, and the only thing I had was the serial number to one of the notes. I would like to get it back if anyone comes across it at any time.

1954 $1, serial number is:
U/M 0391953  not - so - hot- condition.

Lol, the theives left a 25 c note. Probably didn't know what to do with it.

If you know where this single is, please let me know, it might be part of a very large string of break ins using (what I suspect due to the marks) perhaps a slim-jim.

H
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 03:27:55 am by hudsonab »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 12:37:51 am »

Gee Hudson,  with your break and enter luck... you better watch out for lightning strikes...   :-/

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 12:51:21 am »

Maybe its the same guy cause he knows what he is going to find.

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 01:10:27 am »

Archey, you bring a good point.  That aspect has been looked at and analysed.  It is unlikely. Will leave that there.  Break ins are very common here. (yay!)  :-/ :P :'( (yes that demands all three faces).

Lol- funny coinsplus how you should mention the lightning strike.   On August 12th, 2001 or 2002... on a golf course....  Anyway, happy to be alive :)

All in all, out of all that, things could be MUCH worse, but I WANT MY BILL ! Waah! (That is me pouting) lol

stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 01:27:03 am »

hudson do you have a coin shop
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 02:42:17 am »

Hudson if I were you, I'd get myself some kind of surveillance camera system or something(pin hole camera).

3 times is 3 times too many. :(

Sorry  :'(

Manny

P.S. Conans sword works well too...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 02:43:08 am by Manada »

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 03:26:42 am »

I am taking appropriate actions to better protect myself.

But sorry, no coin shop :(  

I agree. 3 times is too many. And that is just in the last 3 months!  Anyway, hope all has better luck than I, and  if you see the note down the road, please let me know!  (As this could be a repeat theif - based on circumstances and tools used)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 03:28:31 am by hudsonab »

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 07:45:13 am »

Jeez, have you walked under a lot of ladders or had swarms of black cats cross your path??  :(

You might also set up a webcam or something so that you can watch your house when you're not home...you could probably monitor your house through your cellphone if you have the right kind.

A blood-thirsty dog or two on the premises might help too!  :D

stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 02:24:57 pm »

you do not have to have vicious dogs all you need is a sign saying alarm system or beware of dog
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 07:19:53 pm »

I have reported stolen items and breakins so many times. The info goes to a group of dealers plus some extra people.

I started to write some basic information of prevention, primarily at shows, but including homes and shops.

A breakin in Alberta a couple of years ago. The owner of coins and notes had a monster safe built in the basement, the walk in type. The thieves disabled the alarm system, and then spent hours cutting through the steel walls with metal cutting discs. They got everything. If they really want it, they will get it.

Step #1, keep the really good stuff in the bank.
Step #2, keep your mouth shut, do not tell everyone that you collect coins, paper money or other valuables.
Other things, do all your mailing through a PO Box. These are cheap insurance. Contact Hugh Woods about insurance on your items.

Any suggestions? I will complete the story someday.

We just had a dealer robbed in the London, Ontario area. $200,000 or more, including bullion, key date coins and lots of 1935-54 notes.

Rick
rew150
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 01:43:27 pm »

get a safety deposit box (large) in a bank and a quality alarm system.

doesnt get yer notes back, but should help you next time,

theft sucks big time, esp when its something you have not just a monetary value with but a senitmental one.

almost makes you want to live in Saudi.....

instant amputee to the lucky theif who is caught.  not saying its right but its one HELL of a deterrent!
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 03:13:46 pm »

Hello Rick,

Which dealer in London, Ontario got robbed?   I didn't hear about this one.  

Thanks,

Michael
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 04:22:33 pm by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 10:04:59 pm »

The dealer was not from London, but elsewhere. He was visiting following a show, his car was broken into and he was cleaned out. Many thefts occur when dealers are followed from shows.

Rick
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 02:42:51 pm »

Three times huh? I usually keep most of my stuff in a safety deposit box. I haven't been busted into yet, except once, but I do have a monitored alarm system. I made sure to advertise that with a couple of signs around the house, a dog and an erratic work schedule. That would at least deal with most punks or punkettes. Speaking for my nieghbour (He was busted in seven times) the police and his insurance company said that they came after the new stuff the insurance paid for only for them to break in again, and again, etc. That's this thief's primary reason, they know that there will be new stuff available. Also the house also had a history of being a 'grow-op' from a previous owner who himself was broken into before.
You are gonna have to assume they will be back Huds. Don't take any half measures.

PD from the Bud Capital of the world, but still a nice place to live.

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 12:20:38 pm »

A break-in is always a very nasty thing. However, I always find it difficult to understand why collectors with valuable material would keep anything at home without a decent alarm system. Even with an alarm system at my place I'm perpetually worried about break-ins (both random and premeditated).

One thing that we often forget is that collectors have a moral RESPONSIBILITY to look after their material for the benefit of future generations of collectors. Just imagine what could happen to some stolen Devil's Face asterisk notes or rare 1954 *C/I replacement notes. It's quite possible that they might end up being spent at a local beer store and be lost forever to the collecting community....
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 12:23:05 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).

Login with username, password and session length