Author
Topic: New Journey $50 note  (Read 30578 times)
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2004, 08:01:38 pm »

Fuhgettabuhttit.   ;D

I get mail addressed to Ms. all the time.  ::)

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
jonathan
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2004, 10:19:10 pm »

Any more comments or concerns regarding the upcoming new $50 note? ???  Please let us know. :)

Jonathan ;)
emsteph
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2004, 02:39:53 am »

We are still a member of the Commonwealth and we should have at least one note with the reigning monarch.

If the government can yank the Lord's Prayer from our school system to accommodate a few, what's stopping them from slapping some ding dong's portrait other than the Queen's mug on a note?  >:(

I personally haven't enjoyed the look of notes since the '54 series. Probably since these were the first notes I ever collected. They are simple and bright in colours. The new notes since seem to be too busy for me.  :P
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 02:41:04 am by sid-63 »
Jason
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2004, 03:52:06 pm »

The Queen is STILL on our coins, after all.

However, I have the feeling that we will always have ONE note with the image of the monarch, be it Elizabeth II, Charles III, William V, or whomever.

I like how the reverses since 1954 have always depicted "Canadiana" in some form, and I hope we continue to do that in future note series.

As for Macdonald, Laurier, Borden, and King..... these LEADERS of Canada have made positive and lasting contributions to our history, and I do not think they should be replaced either.  In my honest opinion (and I am NOT looking to pick a fight with this), I would sooner see the monarch go before these celebrated Canadians.
jonathan
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2004, 03:55:32 pm »

How old is the Queen now?
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2004, 07:27:45 pm »

She was born April 21, 1926, which would make her 78.

Jason
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2004, 01:01:52 am »

Given the longevity of her family (esp. her mom), I bet she will reign long enough to surpass Victoria's record, and even go after the all-im European record, which currently stands at 72 years on the throne.  (Louis XIV of France)

(Elizabeth II is approaching 53 years this Feb.)
jonathan
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2004, 01:07:54 pm »

Can we end this conversation regarding the monarchy on our currency?  This topic is about the upcoming Journey $50 note, the Famous Five and Therese Casgrain, and other related subjects... ;D

If anybody has any further opinions regarding the new $50 note, please feel free by posting on this thread. :)

I think that there will be more information on this thread when the new note is unveiled.

Hey, it's only a few weeks away... ::)

Thanks, Jonathan
;)
Jason
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2004, 05:17:06 pm »

The monarchy issue sort of ties into the new $50.  It has been suggested by some that to commemorate the Golden Jubilee, Elizabeth (and perhaps Philip as well) should have been put on a special issue of the $50.  To that point I must respectfully disagree.  She is already present on the $20, and I would not condone displacing William Lyon Mackenzie King, a Canadian Prime Minister (and the longest serving PM of all time), just to make MORE room for the Queen.

Perhaps people are thinking of the 1935 $25-bill, to honour the Silver Jubilee of King George V and Queen Mary.  I think it's neat how a special denomination was created for them.  However, since we didn't repeat the process in 1977 when we had the chance, I don't see the point in mucking around with the new $50.

That being said, I am looking forward to the new $50, AS it has been described, and with all of the images we have been told about!

J
jonathan
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2004, 07:18:47 pm »

Good point, Jason.

We should keep the familiar faces on our banknotes as they are for this and any future banknote series. :)

As for the new $50 note, the unveiling is only a month away.  And then another five weeks until its actual release. ::)

Time is flying.  Before you know it, "Ho Ho Ho" will come to your home. ;D

(Did you know that the last two notes to complete the series are of Christmas colours? :D)

Bye 4 Now, ;)Jonathan
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2004, 03:58:21 pm »

More stuff to read, in case anyone is interested:

"Regarding "New $50 slammed as racist" [The Front, Sept.2]: not only is Famous 5 judge Emily Murphy a well known racist, she is very high on the list of prohibitionists who made almost any vice illegal because of their strict need to impose their values on others. Even though this meant lying and ignoring any science, it didn't stop them. This is sickening. The very notion that the Famous 5 did more good than harm is absolutely wrong. They encouraged racism and made cannabis illegal because it supposedly made "black men" go crazy and rape white women.

Emily Murphy had an agenda, and getting women any power wasn't on it. It was nothing but an avenue of decency she could tolerate."

and

"Emily Murphy was a racist puritan crackpot, and we have her to thank for decades of drug-war misery, millions of ruined lives and billions of wasted dollars. If they want to put her face on a piece of paper, it shouldn't be the new $50 bill, it should be on toilet paper."

link:  http://www.montrealmirror.com/meat/letters.html  (will change after next week)

Marc :)
jonathan
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2004, 05:39:27 pm »

All those rumours out there are making me worry that the new $50 bill may become the least popular banknote in Bank of Canada's history...

I hope people can trust the fact that the Famous Five group have really helped Canadians in a positive way.

Here is an article regarding the Famous Five and what they did good for Canadians:

The Famous Five Exhibition at the National Library
Joni Waiser  

January/February 2001
Research and Information Services

Until 1929, one word denied women access to the Senate of Canada. The word "persons" in the British North America Act of 1867 did not, or so it seemed, include women, although, as persons, they were able to vote in all federal and most provincial elections.

Five remarkable Alberta women contested the interpretation of the word "persons" in the Supreme Court of Canada in 1928. The group consisted of Emily Murphy, initiator of the movement and its spokesperson; Louise McKinney; Henrietta Muir Edwards; Nellie McClung and Irene Parlby. Their first attempt was unsuccessful. But the following year, the Privy Council in Great Britain, which was still the highest appeal court for Canada, decided that "the word ‘persons’ in section 24 of the British North America Act includes members both of the male and female sex … and that women are eligible to be summoned to and become members of the Senate of Canada."

While commemorating this milestone in the history of women’s rights in Canada, an exhibition at 395 Wellington Street in Ottawa aimed to promote awareness of the "Famous Five", as the newspapers of the time labelled these enterprising women.

The Famous Five exhibition was a joint initiative of the National Library of Canada, the National Archives of Canada, the Department of Justice Canada and the Famous 5 Foundation. It coincided with the October 18, 2000, inauguration of the Women Are Persons! commemorative monument on Parliament Hill.

The display began with archival documents describing the legal process of the Persons Case. It then highlighted selective publications written by or about the women, providing insight into their interests and commitment to social causes. The exhibit concluded with an overview of the repercussions of their victory, from the appointment of the first woman to the Senate in 1930 to today.

The National Library’s collection includes extensive material on the life and times of the Famous Five, honouring their work and its relevance to present-day conditions. Drawing on this collection, the exhibition featured newspaper and periodical articles, dissertations, sound recordings, brochures, conference data, postage stamps, posters, as well as monographs paying tribute to the Famous Five and the Persons Case.

Biographies of the Famous Five and other women activists who have worked to improve the lives of Canadian women can be found on our Web site under Celebrating Women’s Achievements, www.collectionscanada.ca/women/index-e.html.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/bulletin/015017-0101-09-e.html

I really would like for Canadians to have a positive feeling over the new $50 bill.

Later, Jonathan
canada-hongkong
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2004, 06:30:59 pm »

I am rather upset over the new $50, as in history class, I learned about King being a racist, Anti-Asian person, ordering Japanese to be stripped of their possessions and held in captivity. I also am shocked over the appearance of the famous 5, They slammed certain races, they blamed all problems on other people........etc........, anyways, I hope this didn't sound too harsh, and I will still accept the new $50........
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2004, 10:56:52 pm »

I assume you're talking about William Lyon Mackenzie King.  Yes he was a big time racist.  His policy on letting Jews into Canada at that time was: NONE is TOO MANY!

Marc :)
canada-hongkong
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2004, 11:46:29 pm »

Well, literally King was a good friend of Adolf Hitler, and obivously, followed along with his hatred of Jews. He was supposedly our "best" prime minister, he did many good things however, but it cannot justify what he did to the asian and Jewish people of this country.

Login with username, password and session length