Author
Topic: Dean’s finds  (Read 64006 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #360 on: March 23, 2023, 06:36:24 pm »

March 23rd:
Main Branch Madness part 2:

On closer inspection of the $10s, I realized that there were some diamonds in the rough.

An out of register cut DV prefix $10.
A birthday note, FDM 1985520…May 20th 1985.

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 11:54:16 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #361 on: March 23, 2023, 06:44:13 pm »

March 23rd:
Main Branch Madness: Part 3:

Here is the last of the main branch finds for the day…
The birds $50s and the 1954 $10 with tons of stamps on it.

It really is too bad that somebody put a light fold in those EHX $50s…and that the one note is missing from the run.  😢

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #362 on: March 23, 2023, 06:49:55 pm »

March 23rd finds:
(Regular) Branch Madness!

Here are the $1s and $2s I received from my regular branch.

Sorry Claude, no Big B $2s or mismatched B $1s…

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #363 on: March 27, 2023, 05:23:28 pm »

March 27th finds:

Today, I went to one of my regular branches and picked up a few paper notes.
Nothing really special today, just some journey notes, a few birds $100s and a 1975 $100.

For Claude:  All of the Bs on the birds $100 are small.  ☹️

One of the birds $100 is a bit out of register and the two BJT series $100s both have a bit of offset ink on the top left of the back of the note.

One thing I have noticed is that there are a LOT of very nice birds $100s, journey $100s and journey $50s coming out of the woodwork lately.  If you need one for your collection, the banks have tons of them.

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 05:28:06 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #364 on: March 28, 2023, 06:10:05 pm »

March 28th finds:

A replacement note is rescued and something really special…

I went to one of my regular branches today.  When I arrived in line, I saw the lady in the cash cage counting big piles of bank notes.  I knew this teller from previous transactions so I just walked up and asked her if there was any paper money in the piles.

The friendly teller obliged by pulling out all of the paper notes.
Most are unremarkable journey notes and a few birds notes, but in with the mutilated notes, I pulled out an AJX birds $100 replacement note with a clear BPN and in the pile of journey $10s, there was an incredible low serial number note BTU0000020

Unfortunately, somebody doodled a small number on Sir John A. Macdonald’s forehead!  😡. A similar number is scribbled on the birds $10 on his forehead.

Why did the teller choose THAT particular note to scribble on?  😡😡😡
It’s still a very cool find though!

Many of the $10s have the “roller marks of death” from being deposited in the bank machine.  ☹️

After I finished looking through the Canadian currency, I noticed a large pile of US mutilated notes on the desk.  The teller let me look through those notes as well and I pulled out 30 $2s, and three old design $20s.
None of these notes are worth a premium, and some do deserve to be shredded as there is very little design left on them, but I took them anyway.

Enjoy!
Dean

Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #365 on: March 28, 2023, 09:05:04 pm »

Wow #20 great find, enjoy!

CPMS Member 1564
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #366 on: March 31, 2023, 09:32:29 pm »

March 31st finds:
Main branch strikeout but all is not lost…

I went to the main branch of my bank today, but they had no paper money or old coins for me. 😢
On the way home, I stopped in to a branch of a different bank and did a “cold call”.  The teller comes out of the cash cage with a plastic bag containing $9 in nickel 50c pieces.  😀

She said that they “don’t know what to do with them” because there is “nowhere in the system to record these coins”.

I told her that I’d take any and all 50c coins and big nickel dollars or paper money that they get.

If 50c coins are so unpopular and nobody uses them, why doesn’t the Government retire the denomination altogether?

Enjoy!
Dean

Redlock
« Reply #367 on: April 01, 2023, 01:50:23 pm »

If 50c coins are so unpopular and nobody uses them, why doesn’t the Government retire the denomination altogether?

Because the Canadian Government can still make money selling 50c coins to coin collectors in Canada and around the world. Why give up such a nice little extra money? ;)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #368 on: April 03, 2023, 06:11:50 pm »

April 3rd finds:
Lots and lots of journey $20s…and some pennies and a $5 too…

The friendly teller at one of my banks gave me $1765 in paper notes, mostly $20s.  There are some nice UNC runs in this haul…The teller said that someone came in just hours before I did and deposited these notes.

I also obtained $4 in pennies.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #369 on: April 06, 2023, 09:10:29 pm »

April 5th finds:

Hitting paydirt…

I stopped by one of my regular branches today and the friendly teller pulled all of the paper notes from the mutilated pile.  While the majority of the notes are nothing special, there are a couple of HAE $5s (Jenkins/Carney) and an FEE prefix $10 (printed in 2002).

Sorry Claude, all of the birds $2s have small “B”s…☹️

While the notes are run of the mill, the story behind them is interesting:
The teller told me that the client who deposited the notes is the son of an elderly man who is moving into a senior’s home and they found this money while cleaning out his house.

The “discovery” of hoards of money in homes is the stuff that dreams are made of…
What else could be stashed in sock drawers and old coats forgotten in people’s homes?

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 09:13:47 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #370 on: April 12, 2023, 09:11:44 pm »

April 12th mail call:

I saw this note and I couldn’t resist buying it…
A binary radar 1974 $2!

Enjoy!
Dean

Cbeaulieu
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #371 on: April 13, 2023, 08:56:18 pm »

Hi,
You did the right choice,beautyfull 2 digits radar and also binary.A great note!
Claude
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #372 on: April 14, 2023, 08:06:15 pm »

April 13th & 14th finds…A double header!

I didn’t report my find yesterday from the Main Branch of my bank.  All I received was a pair of colourized Alexander Graham Bell loonies; they did not have any paper money nor did they have any coins.

Today, I went to two different banks.  The first bank is one of my regular stops and they did not disappoint!
The friendly teller gave me some really nice notes from the mutilated pile today, including some 1971 $10s (no FDA or FDC prefix notes☹️), however, the nicest $10 is a radar note, ETK1437341 I also got some crisp birds $20s but unfortunately, several of these had corner bumps from being thrown into the mutilated pile ☹️

Last but not least, there are the circulated journey $20s and one journey $10 without the security strip.

I am fairly certain that the crisp 1971 $10s and birds $20s came from a collection.  Either the collector died and the family deposited the “found” money, or the collector was downsizing their collection and figured that the $10s and $20s were not worth keeping.

The second bank yielded 74 cents in pennies.  Some Americans and several cents that were dug from the ground.

I’m amazed at the types of notes and coins I am finding after all of this time.  There must be millions upon millions of dollars of old money out there, waiting to be found again!

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #373 on: April 20, 2023, 06:25:32 pm »

April 20th finds:
Lots of $50s (and a couple of $100s too)

I went to one of my regular banks and the friendly teller let me look through a bundle of journey $100s and a few $50s.

Surprisingly, the journey $100s were in terrible shape, so I took a couple of the best ones.
I was pleasantly surprised to find an insert note, EJE 3928555.

There were some nicer journey $50s as well, but because they are lightly circulated, they will be going back to the bank.

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #374 on: April 23, 2023, 10:26:59 am »

April 21st finds:

New bank, new finds!

I went to a branch that I have never been to and the teller kindly gave me a bunch of paper notes and 90c in pennies!

Highlights include many crisp 1973 $1s and an FDS short run prefix 1971 $10.

Sorry Claude, all of the $1s had big “B”s…☹️

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 04:56:39 pm by Dean »

Login with username, password and session length