Author
Topic: The New Twenty Dollar Note  (Read 22522 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2004, 05:54:49 pm »

I've visited several branches of TDCT, Scotiabank, HSBC, and the Royal, both downtown Kitchener, Waterloo and in other parts of the city.  None have the new $20 as yet.  Most banks give the typical story of "whenever they come in... we have no idea" but one branch seemed completely out to lunch and claimed that none would be shipped to any banks until early October since that is when they would be ready for.  Another branch claimed that shipments have been going out since Monday to various banks across the country but wouldn't be released until today at the earliest.

I also found it interesting that TDCT could not place an order for specifically new notes, yet a CIBC branch that I deal with can without any problem at all.  This same branch tells me that they will have the new $20s on Monday.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
jonathan
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2004, 06:14:40 pm »

I've contacted the main branch of Scotiabank in St. John's, NL this morning - they said that they may have the new notes within the next couple of days.  My  assumption  is that they will be at that branch Thursday morning, since the last three denominations of the Journey series were released on a Wednesday and banks in St. John's, NL never got their shipments until the day after released.  I didn't bother calling the main branches of CIBC, RBC, TDCT, and BMO whatsoever.  I can rely on Scotiabank as the first (or one of the first) banks in NL to get the new notes - Scotiabank would be my first choice for the new notes.

It would be kind of unusual for the new $20 bills to arrive in St. John's on Friday or later.

I will put my 37 cents on Scotiabank in St. John's having the new twenties on Thursday.

Also, I have seen an advertisement in my local newspaper (The St. John's Telegram) today to promote the new $20's, but they didn't have them today.

As far as things go, we "newfies" won't expect the new $50 in St. John's until the day or two after the release date.

And that's my loonie's worth. :D

Bye Four Now, Jonathan ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 06:15:27 pm by jonathan »
canada-hongkong
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2004, 06:19:36 pm »

Scotia has always been reliable, they always have the new notes fter the release date at main branches.
emsteph
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2004, 09:11:57 pm »

Scotiabank in Dorchester didn't have any today.  :(
Nor did the TD bank.  >:(

No problem getting the $5 on their first day.

Bummer...
uts24
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2004, 09:12:40 pm »

The Scotia Bank ATM at the Rideau Centre in Ottawa is dispensing new $20 notes.  Got EDITED.
Already posted in the $20 High/Lows forum.

The Bank of Canada has a display set up next to the machine with litterature on security features etc...

Guess it pays to live in the Nations' Capital!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 09:39:35 pm by BWJM »
CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2004, 09:58:07 pm »

I went to the TD Canada Trust this morning at Bay & Queen in downtown Toronto and they didn't have them.

Went to TD Canada Trust at Yonge & Adelaide this afternoon at 5pm and they didn't have any either, until the teller remembered a customer had brought some in!  She was able to track them down for me.  They have a vertical fold in them already, but it was nice to get my hands on them on the first day of issue.  Imagine that, someone got their hands on the new $20 and within 12 hours, creased them and cashed them back into the bank.

{http://www.geocities.com/cj_sidewall/banknotes/AYR0415695-97_Front.JPG}

{http://www.geocities.com/cj_sidewall/banknotes/AYR0415695-97_Back.JPG}
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2004, 11:22:58 pm »

Nice!

AYR also makes sense.  Both co's need to print them due to how heavily used the $20 is.

EYP is the other starter.

Marc :)
JohnnyG4
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2004, 12:19:14 am »

I worked last night longer to get an hour this morning to visit some banks here in Ottawa. 5 banks, no luck.

So I wanted to get the soundtrack to "Captain Sky" and when I was on my way out of the Rideau Center the Bank of Canada had a 'display' and a couple of folks manning it. Their display is just up from the food court, in front of the Disney store - in case anyone is wondering.

The nice lady at the display said the Scotiabank banking machines (right beside their display) had the new twenties. So I got:

EDITED.  Please post serial numbers in the appropriate thread in the $20 High/Low forum.  These numbers have been reposted there.

They are absolutely wonderful notes (the backs) - they put the $100 note to shame. Bill Reid has to be teaching the angels Heida art!!

I like'em!!

John
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 12:40:44 am by BWJM »
jonathan
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2004, 12:32:14 pm »

I called the main bank branches in St. John's, NL this morning, and they still don't have the new $20's >:(.

I was hoping that the Scotiabank main branch would have them today, but "oh, no". :(

However, I called the main RBC branch in downtown St. John's about an hour ago and they said they MAY have their shipments of the new $20's in possibly later today.  I even left them my telephone number and asked them to call me when they DO have the new notes in. :D

Well, I've got a cheque tomorrow to cash.  I guess I will call the Scotiabank main branch tomorrow morning.  They said that they may have them in as late as Monday. 8)

By the way things seem, we might see EYH or AYS prefixes (or maybe even AYU) on the forum the day NL does have the new notes.

There are a lot of opportunities over the next little while to get my hands on the new $20's - we just gotta be a little patient.  It will be worth it in the long run.  I hope.

Bye 4 Now, Jonathan
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2004, 05:31:26 pm »

I got my wife to get some of the new $20s today since I couldn't make it there and she could only get them at the Royal Bank. But she asked the teller to NOT snap the bills, but she did anyway, the teller said she was asked to do that when counting them out to avoid bills being stuck together. So the bills go from being UNC to AU in 2 seconds. But what I don't get is, the bills come out of a despensing machine behind the tellers' counter. So I'm sure the count is accurate without her having to recount them.  

So my wife came back later and asked if she could exchange them and they said the other new bills were already mixed in with older 20s for despensing. She asked why and they said they mixed the bills up with older bills to avoid counterfeiting???????? How is that going to deter counterfeiting??? I just think she got the run around. So she went to another RBC location and she got some bills in UNC, the teller was nice, DIDN'T snap the bills, so if snapping the bills was bank policy, why didn't this teller do the same? Also, she got a note that was 80 notes from a radar, if I could get my hands on the full bundle, I might have gotten that note. Anyway, she got even  more notes, so I'll sort through them later, but we must have gotten like $800 worth.

But basically a lot of bank tellers didn't even know a new note was coming out or when they were coming out? Also, I really think, some tellers don't care if you want to collect some of the new notes. Some will help, some won't, it all boils down to personality of the teller. I think a lot of tellers don't understand why people collect paper money as a hobby? It's so foreign to them and strange. But isn't banknote collecting like one of the most popular hobbies in the world, right behind coin/stamp collecting? But then again, women are known for collecting stuff too, it's called diamonds and jewelry. They go crazy for these rocks. So why is collecting paper money any different?
canada-hongkong
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2004, 08:23:03 pm »

Very good day today, I went to a downtown Toronto ATM machine, I found brand new OLD 20s in the machine, I try the one next to it, there they are! The new 20s. I went to the CIBC and BMO main branch, but they would only give me 3 notes each. I spent my first note at a Starbucks in Toronto, the cashiers were amazed at the note, passing it around between 6 people. I spotted AYS, AYR, and EYG notes.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 08:25:53 pm by canada-hongkong »
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2004, 01:33:04 am »

How come mine have Bank of Canada logo on the back? Other notes I've seen posted don't have it, are there two versions?
canada-hongkong
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2004, 01:36:03 am »

Wow, I haven't seen that. By the way, does anyone notice the new 20s are rather curly? The notes dispensed from ATMs are not in very good shape. The notes were binded too hard I think.
Steve11
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2004, 04:06:10 am »

Definatly something odd....the AYT and AYS notes I have..do not have this "Bank of Canada..." on them either....strange strange and stranger!!!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2004, 05:41:19 am »

My first gut instinct is to say it's PhotoShop'd.  I'd like to see a scan of the area in question of at least 150% zoom before making any further opinion.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length