Author
Topic: The New Twenty Dollar Note  (Read 22524 times)
Jason
« on: September 28, 2004, 02:03:53 am »

What with the release date only two days away, I will be curious to know WHEN people first spot or receive their new $20s, and where they see them or get them from.  It is interesting to study the sources for our new currency.  So please, when you get your new $20, please let us know how, where, when, etc.

Jason
jonathan
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 10:34:06 am »

For all ye avid collectors anxiously awaiting the release of the new $20 note, here are some suggestions 8):

1. Call the main bank branches in your region Wednesday or Thursday morning to find out if they have them, or when they will have them. 8)

2. If they have them, find out when the tellers (not the ATM's) are dispersing the new notes.  There may be a high chance that, although the banks will receive their shipments of the new notes, they won't be dispersing them until after they have been counted, and that may take about two or three hours, possibly the whole business day.  There may be a chance that they won't be ready until at least Thursday afternoon or Friday.

REMEMBER - the banks will have really huge quantities of the new $20's, as they are the most circulated banknote in the country.

I learned this experience from a friend of mine who used to work at a bank many years ago. :D

This theory should be the same for when the new $50 comes out in November. :)

For all of those on the forum wishing to pocket the new notes, I wish all avid collectors THE BEST OF LUCK! :)

Bye 4 now, Jonathan ;)
darrelj
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 11:06:11 am »

I work in a nightclub with an atm. My wife works in a bank, I'll post sightings as soon as possible.
jonathan
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 01:41:36 pm »

I won't rush into getting my new $20's right away.  It may probably be at least Thursday or Friday before they arrive at the banks in St. John's.  Then, when they receive them, they have to count them before they disperse them out and that may take a while. :o

So, with that being said, I will probably call the main banks on Thursday morning and if they DO have them at the branch (or whenever they have them), I will probably go to that branch in the afternoon. :)

And that's my 42 cents worth.  :)

Also, I was at a Scotiabank in St. John's this morning.  They had it decorated with balloons to celebrate being the best bank in St. John's (I'm not sure if it's "best Scotiabank branch" or "best bank overall" in the city).  Plus, I received some crisp $10's and $5's (FEM and HNS respectively).  I will probably swap them for the new $20's when they come to my neck of the woods.

Bye Four Now,
Jonathan ;)
Soupie
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 02:06:22 pm »

Working for a bank I can let you know you have a better chance of getting the new 20's through an ATM then from a teller.  The majority of bank branches take in more 20's then they give out meaning they don't likely order 20's for their cash supply.  Any new 20's that come into a branch will be likely from commercial deposits.
ATM's on the other hand will likely be filled with the new 20's as they get refilled, so it's best to use high traffic machines as they are likely refilled most frequently.  Good luck and I hope everyone has a chance to get one of the new bills soon!!
Phil
JB-2007
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 03:45:40 pm »

I will get one in my area tomorrow. The new notes are usual easy to get here in montreal but rather i get it tomorrow or next week or next month makes no difference to me. Besides sooner or later we'll see nothing but 2004 $20's circulating around. Besides im not worried i've always managed to get my new notes right when they come out ;
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 04:01:16 pm by JB105 »
jonathan
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 05:31:44 pm »

I wonder if there will still be a lot of banks that will have the new $20's available over-the-counter? ???

I hope so, because I don't rely on an ATM card.  And besides, if I withdrew the new $20's from the ATM, it may cost me service charges. ;D

It's "cheaper" to get the new $20's "over-the-counter" than at an ATM. ;D

Later, Jonathan :)
canada-hongkong
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 06:34:41 pm »

Tomorrow I have a half day vacation, probably can try at some branches in the downtown region of Mississauga.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2004, 08:19:47 pm »

...if I withdrew the new $20's from the ATM, it may cost me service charges. ;D

It's "cheaper" to get the new $20's "over-the-counter" than at an ATM. ;D

Interesting.  The account I have at my bank (a credit union actually) lets me have unlimited electronic transactions (ATM withdrawals, point-of-sale purchases, online balance transfers, etc) with no service charges.  But If I need the services of a teller, I only get two free visits per month and then I start getting charged for them.  If I need notes other than $20's I take $20's out of the ATM and take them to the counter and ask for change.  Asking for change doesn't count as a transaction so no service charges apply.  If I withdrew the notes I wanted from the teller, I could only do it twice per month without getting charged!

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
jonathan
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004, 10:50:52 pm »

Well, folks...

The new $20 note is just hours away. 8)  Some banks will have them :), and some will not until some point later on. :(

With that being said, for all of ye avid collectors out there, GOOD LUCK on your quest for the "big greens"! ;D

Later, Jonathan ;)

P.S.:  Would you be able to share your feedback with us when you get the new notes? ;)
jonathan
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2004, 10:52:17 pm »

BTW, "Big Greens" is my slang phrase meaning the big, green $20 bills :).
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004, 02:30:20 pm »

Jonathan posted the following in a separate thread:
Tell a friend! :D

The new $20's are officially released today! 8)

(Personally I won't be getting mine as yet :))

Bye 4 Now, Jonathan ;)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
JoeF
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2004, 04:25:04 pm »

Just got a couple of new 20's at the Royal Bank - main branch in Calgary.

It took about 5 tries at various banks before I got them.  The CIBC in Banker's Hall had a Bank of Canada kiosk outside doing publicity, but the teller inside said "not available yet".  At the Royal the teller I talked to said "not yet" but then the one beside her corrected her and said they did have a limited number!

Serial numbers are: EDITED.
Please post serial numbers to the appropriate thread in the $20 High/Low forum.  Thanks!

Good luck to everyone else!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 05:49:09 pm by BWJM »
Steve11
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2004, 04:31:28 pm »

EDITED from the Bank of Canada, Ottawa...
Already posted in the $20 High/Lows forum.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 05:50:05 pm by BWJM »
canada-hongkong
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2004, 05:40:35 pm »

Nothing at 8 banks and 10 ATM machines in Mississauga....... :-[ ........sigh

Login with username, password and session length